The original Newark Town FC was formed in 1868 and was a member of the Midland Counties League where it enjoyed some success. Records show the Town claimed some notable scalps in the FA Cup at its Muskham Road ground reaching the second round in 1930-31. Two players of note in this period are William Ashurst who represented England and then played for Newark and Syd Bycroft who was sold to Doncaster Rovers in 1936 for the sum of £250.
The club fell on hard times and was eventually disbanded in the mid 1930s . The ground was subject to a compulsory purchase order to form part of the new cattle market site and the opportunity was missed to obtain a suitable alternative site.
After the Second World War Ransome & Marles FC became the senior football club in Newark.
In the 1970s a small group led by Keith Bee reformed Newark Town FC and playing at Devon Park entered one of the Nottingham leagues. This venture was short lived and the name of Newark Town again passed into history.